By Kent J. Kille (auth.)
Read Online or Download From Manager to Visionary: The Secretary-General of the United Nations PDF
Best diplomacy books
The transformation of the BRIC acronym from an funding time period right into a loved ones identify of overseas politics and, extra lately, right into a semi-institutionalized political outfit (called BRICS, with a capital ‘S’), is likely one of the defining advancements in overseas politics long ago decade. whereas the idea that is now familiar within the basic public debate and foreign media, there has now not but been a entire and scholarly research of the heritage of the BRICS time period.
This e-book investigates relatives among Israel, the Palestinian territories and the eu Union through contemplating them as interlinked entities, with kin among any of the 3 events affecting the opposite aspect. The participants to this edited quantity discover various elements of Israeli-Palestinian-European Union interconnectedness.
This booklet, in its attempt to formulate compatibility among Islamic legislation and the foundations of foreign diplomatic legislations, argues that the necessity to harmonize the 2 criminal structures and feature a radical cross-cultural knowing among international locations usually so one can bettering unfettered diplomatic cooperation can be of paramount precedence.
The chilly struggle ruled global heritage for almost part a century, locking superpowers in an international competition that purely ended with the Soviet cave in. the main decisive moments of twentieth-century international relations happened while global leaders met face to face—from the mishandled summit in Munich, 1938, which prompted the second one global struggle, to Ronald Reagan's amazing chemistry with Mikhail Gorbachev at Geneva in 1985.
- The United Nations and International Politics
- A Dictionary of Diplomacy
- Peace Process: American Diplomacy and the Arab-Israeli Conflict since 1967, Revised Edition
- Outpost: Life on the Frontlines of American Diplomacy: A Memoir
- The European Union and International Organizations
- Preventive Diplomacy at the UN (United Nations Intellectual History Project Series)
Extra resources for From Manager to Visionary: The Secretary-General of the United Nations
Despite this, “the secretary-general does have the power to restructure the Secretariat” and “can exert very considerable influence on the decisions of the General Assembly affecting the structure of the Secretariat” (Sutterlin 2003, 143, 145; Sutterlin’s emphasis). Staffing the Secretariat The ability to appoint Secretariat staff is specified as a separate responsibility under Article 101. There are limits imposed on a SecretaryGeneral’s ability to maintain full control over the staffing process, including the need to balance the dual desire for geographical diversity and candidate skills expressed in Article 101.
5. 5, it should be remembered (as already indicated in the table note) that these standardized scores were computed in comparison to the group of seven SecretariesGeneral as a whole, using a mean score for the group of 50 and a standard deviation of 10 (Hermann 1987a). A score of 50 represents the mid-range for a characteristic while a score above 60 or below 40 is considered high and low respectively. Scores that are within five points of these high and low marks mean that the Secretaries-General lean toward these tendencies and are labeled medium high and medium low in order to better differentiate the office-holders.
The coding results identify Annan as a strategic Secretary-General. 88 for the visionary style is well below 50, indicating that he is unlikely to display behavior consistent with this leadership style. 45 is greater than that for managerial style. In fact, looking at the style results for the other six Secretaries-General, Annan is the only officeholder to display a strategic style above the high threshold of 60. 2, with high characteristics doubled, medium characteristics added once, and low characteristics negatively weighted.