By Mark E. Russinovich
Delve contained in the home windows kernel with famous internals specialists Mark Russinovich and David Solomon, in collaboration with the Microsoft home windows product improvement crew. This vintage guide—fully up-to-date for home windows Server 2003, home windows XP, and home windows 2000, together with 64-bit extensions—describes the structure and internals of the home windows working process. You’ll locate hands-on experiments you should use to adventure home windows inner habit firsthand, in addition to complex troubleshooting info that can assist you hold your platforms operating easily and successfully. no matter if you’re a developer or a process administrator, you’ll locate severe architectural insights that you should speedy observe for larger layout, debugging, functionality, and support.
Get in-depth, within wisdom of the home windows working system:
- Understand the foremost mechanisms that configure and keep watch over home windows, together with dispatching, startup and shutdown, and the registry
- Explore the home windows protection version, together with entry, privileges, and auditing
- Investigate inner procedure structure utilizing the kernel debugger and different tools
- Examine the knowledge constructions and algorithms that take care of techniques, threads, and jobs
- Observe how home windows manages digital and actual memory
- Understand the operation and structure of NTFS, and troubleshoot dossier procedure entry problems
- View the home windows networking stack from most sensible to backside, together with mapping, APIs, identify solution, and protocol drivers
- Troubleshoot boot difficulties and practice crash analysis
Read Online or Download Microsoft windows internals, fourth edition : Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000 PDF
Best client-server systems books
While you are new to the realm of Microsoft Small company Server 2003, Microsoft Small enterprise Server 2003 Unleashed offers you with real-world aid adventure as you start or discover your upgraded server. Written and reviewed by way of Small company Server MVPs, this booklet offers invaluable assurance of Mac platform integration, in addition to the mixing of ISA 2004, SharePoint, FrontPage, alternate, and SQL Server.
"Exchange specialists and Microsoft MVPs Richard Luckett, William Lefkovics, and Bharat Suneja have packed this publication with sensible advice, invaluable info, and years of information and event. If you’re accountable for a number of facets of an trade 2007-based messaging method, retain this publication shut, as you’ll be touching on it frequently!
Definitely the right Reference for the Multitasked method AdministratorsThe new edition of trade is an formidable overhaul that attempts to stability the starting to be wishes for functionality, rate effectiveness, and defense. For the typical approach administrator, it is going to current a tough migration course from prior models and a vexing variety of new good points.
Transportable and designated, this pocket-sized advisor promises prepared solutions for the day by day management of SharePoint 2010. that includes easy-to-scan tables, step by step directions, and convenient lists, this publication deals the streamlined, simple info you must clear up difficulties and get the activity done-whether at your table or within the box!
- Running Mainframe z on Distributed Platforms
- Java EE 5 Development using GlassFish Application Server
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 with SP1: Tony Redmond's Guide to Successful Implementation
- How to Cheat at Configuring ISA Server 2004
- MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit Exam 70-297): Designing a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory and Network Infrastructure: Exam 70-297); ... Active Directory and Network Infrastructure
Additional info for Microsoft windows internals, fourth edition : Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000
It includes hundreds of counters for various objects. For each major topic described in this book, a table of the relevant Windows performance counters is included. The Performance tool contains a brief description for each counter. To see the descriptions, select a counter in the Add Counter window and click the Explain button. Or open the Performance Counter Reference help file in the resource kit. For information on how to interpret these counters to detect bottlenecks or plan capacity, see the section "Performance Monitoring" in the Windows 2000 Server Operations Guide, which is part of the Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit.
You can also quickly see this activity by using Task Manager. Just click the Performance tab, and then select Show Kernel Times from the View menu. The CPU usage bar will show total CPU usage in green and kernel-mode time in red. Figure 1-6 Performance tool showing tim~ split between kernel mode and user mode To see how the Performance tool itself uses kernel time and user time, run it again, but add the individual Process counters °(0 User Time and 0(0 Privileged Time for every process in the system: 1.
The first form-discretionary access control-is the protection mechanism that most people think of when they think of operating system security. It's the method by which owners of objects (such as files or printers) grant or deny access to others. \\"hen users log in, they are given a set of security credentials, or a security context. When they attempt to access objects, their security context is compared to the access control list on the object they are trying to access to determine whether they have permission to perform the requested operation.