By Peter C. Y. Chow (eds.)
Read or Download The US Strategic Pivot to Asia and Cross-Strait Relations: Economic and Security Dynamics PDF
Similar diplomacy books
The transformation of the BRIC acronym from an funding time period right into a loved ones identify of foreign politics and, extra lately, right into a semi-institutionalized political outfit (called BRICS, with a capital ‘S’), is without doubt one of the defining advancements in overseas politics long ago decade. whereas the idea that is now conventional within the common public debate and foreign media, there has no longer but been a accomplished and scholarly research of the heritage of the BRICS time period.
This ebook investigates family among Israel, the Palestinian territories and the eu Union by means of contemplating them as interlinked entities, with relatives among any of the 3 events affecting the opposite facet. The participants to this edited quantity discover diverse points of Israeli-Palestinian-European Union interconnectedness.
This publication, in its attempt to formulate compatibility among Islamic legislation and the foundations of overseas diplomatic legislation, argues that the necessity to harmonize the 2 felony structures and feature a radical cross-cultural figuring out among countries typically as a way to bettering unfettered diplomatic cooperation might be of paramount precedence.
The chilly battle ruled international historical past for almost part a century, locking superpowers in an international contention that basically ended with the Soviet cave in. the main decisive moments of twentieth-century international relations happened whilst global leaders met face to face—from the mishandled summit in Munich, 1938, which triggered the second one international struggle, to Ronald Reagan's extraordinary chemistry with Mikhail Gorbachev at Geneva in 1985.
- The International Politics of Human Rights: Rallying to the R2P Cause?
- Master of Shadows: The Secret Diplomatic Career of the Painter Peter Paul Rubens
- Australia-China Relations post 1949: Sixty Years of Trade and Politics
- A Monarchy of Letters: Royal Correspondence and English Diplomacy in the Reign of Elizabeth I (Queenship and Power)
- Hired Guns: Views About Armed Contractors in Operation Iraqi Freedom
Additional resources for The US Strategic Pivot to Asia and Cross-Strait Relations: Economic and Security Dynamics
What then sustained the freeze for the next decade (1995–2005) were three factors: ﬁrst, nationalism on the mainland intensiﬁed in the wake of the return of Hong Kong and Macau, stimulated by a propaganda campaign in school curricula and popular media as the regime shifted from ideological to patriotic legitimation following the collapse of the Communist bloc. Second, the advent of electoral democracy in Taiwan resulted in a sub-ethnic split between Taiwanese (“benshengren”) and mainlanders (“waishengren”).
11. 12. 13. 14. 15. • 29 ratings cannot be attributed exclusively to cross-strait relations, but also (apparently) to economic and managerial incompetence. In his report to the 18th party congress in November 2012, Hu Jintao recommended negotiating a peace agreement with Taiwan. This represents a breakthrough in China’s Taiwan policy as Beijing previous opposed such an idea because of the unresolved sovereignty issue. In a 2012 TVBS poll, 68 percent of those surveyed favored maintaining the current status quo—the highest percentage since the poll began in 2000.
18 percent. q=node/296. 2. , levels of income). , where everyone has the same income). , where only one person has all the income). Any increase thus represents greater inequality. 3. For a perceptive analysis of the limited political utility of cross-strait economic integration, see Scott L. Kastner, Political Conﬂict and Economic Interdependence across the Taiwan Strait and Beyond (Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 2009). 4. Cf. Yu-Shan Wu and Lowell Dittmer, “What Drives the Cross-Strait Rapprochement?