Georgetown University Round Table on Languages and by James E. Alatis

By James E. Alatis

This quantity examines linguistics, language acquisition, and language edition, emphasizing their implications for instructor schooling and language schooling. A majority of the essays examine matters in moment language acquisition, dealing in particular with inexperienced persons and teachers, or targeting the bigger social and societal context during which studying and acquisition ensue. themes highlighted contain the present and infrequently arguable debate over bilingual schooling, language version, and the earlier, current, and destiny position of linguistics in language pedagogy.

Show description

Read or Download Georgetown University Round Table on Languages and Linguistics 1996. Linguistics, Language Acquisition, and Language Variation: Current Trends and Future Prospects PDF

Similar study & teaching books

Teaching Reading and Writing: A Guidebook for Tutoring and Remediating Students

Delivering a wealth of easy, research-based techniques for instructing interpreting and writing, this booklet is designed for every bankruptcy to be obtainable to academics, tutors, mom and dad, and paraprofessionals. instructing examining and Writing demonstrates that powerful literacy guide doesn't must be complex or pricey.

Participatory Composition: Video Culture, Writing, and Electracy

Like. proportion. remark. Subscribe. Embed. add. sign in. The instructions of the fashionable on-line global relentlessly urged participation and inspire collaboration, connecting humans in methods impossible even 5 years in the past. This connectedness doubtless impacts university writing classes in either shape and content material, growing percentages for investigating new different types of writing and scholar participation.

E-Z Geometry (Barron's E-Z)

Recognized for a few years as Barrons effortless means sequence, the recent variants of those renowned self-teaching titles at the moment are Barrons E-Z sequence. Brand-new hide designs replicate all new web page layouts, which function vast two-color remedy, a clean, glossy typeface, and extra image fabric than ever-- charts, graphs, diagrams, instructive line illustrations, and the place acceptable, a laugh cartoons.

Additional info for Georgetown University Round Table on Languages and Linguistics 1996. Linguistics, Language Acquisition, and Language Variation: Current Trends and Future Prospects

Sample text

In general, on tests < previous page page_33 next page > < previous page page_34 next page > Page 34 like the Language Assessment Scales, students score as fully fluent in both languages by fourth or fifth grade. Spanish speakers tend to reach the highest scores in oral English somewhat before English speakers reach the same level in Spanish. Site A administers the Language Assessment Scales-Oral (LAS-O) to measure English language development, for example. This program reported that, by third grade, 78 percent of students scored at the highest level (5) and the other 22 percent were at level 4, with both native speakers of English and Spanish performing comparably.

Tübingen: Gunter Narr Verlag. 1324. Crystal, David. 1995. The Cambridge encyclopedia of the English language. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Eckler, Ross. 1996. Making the Alphabet Dance. New York: St. Martin's Press. Ely, Richard and Alyssa McCabe. 1994. " First Language 14(1): 1935. Esposito, A. 1980. " Child Study Journal 10: 207216. Ferguson, Charles A. and Marlys Macken. 1983. " In Keith E. Nelson (ed), Children's language, Volume 4. : Erlbaum. ). 1986. Language acquisition, Second edition.

E. 1987. " Merrill-Palmer Quarterly 33 (3): 175190. E. 1991. " In L. A. ), Learning to read: Basic research and its implications. : Erlbaum. 1931. Weir, Ruth H. 1962. Language in the crib. The Hague: Mouton. Wolfenstein, Martha. 1954. Children's humor: A psychological analysis. : Free Press. < previous page page_29 next page > < previous page page_30 next page > Page 30 Language Development in Two-Way Immersion: Trends and Prospects Donna Christian Center for Applied Linguistics Introduction. Two-way bilingual immersion (or two-way bilingual education) blends the goals and methodologies of language immersion for majority language speakers (in the United States, English language speakers) with maintenance bilingual education for minority language speakers.

Download PDF sample

Rated 4.15 of 5 – based on 35 votes